Sunday, June 04, 2023

How to Talk So Kids Will Listen

 Documenting some of the experiments from this book:


1. Ben did not pack up his toys after playing

As usual, he did not listen to my calls to do so, and walked away. I gave him feedback without shouting - "I'm angry"! To my surprise, he turned back and helped to pick up the toys


2. Both kids quarreled and fought (as usual)

Instead of meting out punishments, I gave them space and autonomy to co-create solutions. This only partially worked, as Jo was willing but Ben did not participate


3. Ben hits people when he is angry

Surprisingly, kids love lists. Both participated actively in creating lists on what to do when angry/bored. So far so good, but yet to be fully tested


4. Ben's appetite for toys is insatiable

According to the book, we can give in and build on his fantasy. Yet to be fully tested

No comments: